Monday, June 05, 2006

Biblical Literacy?

At one time, while in friendly discussion about God's soveriegnty, I quoted Matthew 10:29 by memory:

"...And not one of them [sparrows] falls to the ground apart from your Father's will."

She replied in disbelief--she had never heard of such. So, I looked the verse up and read it to her. (Naturally, knowing human nature, she was not immediately convinced of God's soveriegnty).

At another time, I pointed out (rather nicely, I hope) to a listener that all men know God but "suppress this truth in unrighteousness" (Rom. 1:18)--again, blantant disbelief was projected right at me!

Well, at times I've wondered whether or not I'm just an odd-ball or maybe I don't have a large enough sample size....? Provedentially, while reading over the Christian Examiner, I noticed this article:

"Every semester at Westmont College, a Christian liberal arts collegein Santa Barbara, Calif., Dr. Tremper Longman [a Reformed professor],an Old Testament professor, hands out a pre-test on Bible basics toassess where his students are.

" 'It's (the test) pretty empty when it comes back," the professor said. "They are pretty illiterate about it, especially theOld Testament. The church is not doing a particularly good job of it,either.' "

This is sad! What more can I say? I will simply quote from memory that oft ignored portion of the bible--the Old Testament: "My people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge...they have forgotton the law and they will be forgotten."


God punishes ignorance.

It is easy to blame all the problems in America on those bad old Pagans. I submit to you that the problem primarily began in the church. And began with ignorance.

Don't believe me...? Here I'll look it up for you:


"My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I also will reject you from being priest for Me; Because you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children." Hos. 4:6

Or better yet, please look it up yourself.

SDG



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you think of your studies at Reformation International Theological Seminary?

polymathis said...

I thought that overall they were quite good. I have read a number of the assigned books and covered many of the theological issues before seminary so I had a standard by which to follow.